CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, July 11, 2008

God's Perfect Timing

My heart is so full. I am re living the moment yesterday when my oldest, Aly asked Shelley and me about how to get her free gift. I believe she said something like " I think I am ready to get my free gift from God". I don't have to tell you how our hearts nearly exploded. We had a little discussion and I will try to sum it up for you so you might gain insight or have and opinion or give some leadership etc.

I have to admit my first thoughts were- No wait, if you do then the Lord might take you home. I know that sounds crazy but I was reminded of the tragedy of Steven Curtis Chapmans family. I know their little girl is in heaven but it is such a hard loss for them. Anyway, then all I could think of is that the rapture must be getting ready to happen or I was getting ready to die. Yeah, I know I really need therapy but I am just telling you what went through my mind in about a millisecond when I realized my child was wanting info on the single most important decision of her life.

We of course wanted to encourage her but we also wanted to make sure she understood what it was that she was wanting to do. At 4 1/2 years of age she is such a smart little person so understanding and inquisitive. I know she was comprehending a lot but I think she was just not ready quite yet. Which of course made me believe that I had talked her out of it but I knew that really wasn't the case. I think the Holy Spirit wants to iron out a few wrinkles first.

For example, Aly came running in the living room with her hands up close to her chest and ran right past us and on her way to her room which is highly unlike her unless she is going to the bathroom and you know she HAS to announce her potty visits as if someone may abduct her off of the throne if she doesn't tell us. Shelley noticed it at first and asked her where she was going and what she had in her hand. Well, she sheepishly stopped and looked that deer in the headlight look and just stood there as if she would disappear or we would forget what we had just asked if she was only still and very quiet.
Shelley asked her again and this time it had my interest peeked. Well, Aly just kind of stood there continuing to focus on her inner psychic abilities to make us forget what was going on. After some increased volume on our part and serious looks and forward sitting in our chair she opened her hands and showed us some coins, mostly pennies that she had picked up off of "Poppy's" room floor. Shelley asked her whether or not Poppy had given them to her and she shyly shook her head no. Praise God for honesty, we have seriously worked on that. Now it seems we were working on stealing. We had to make it plain to her that taking anything that doesn't belong to you without permission is in fact stealing. So she knew she was in for a spanking as we had just had this discussion two nights before when she had taken one of those little BP trucks that they sell around Christmas, well, she had taken it from Poppy's room to play with it in the kitchen and WITHOUT Poppy's permission.




When we moved here, Shelley's dad, Poppy as the girls call him, gave us the whole house except for one little room that he basically lives in. He said he didn't want anything else but that room and he wanted us to make sure that he could maintain his privacy. He made it plain that he loved us and the girls and wanted them to come to visit him often but not when the door was closed or when he wasn't home.



For the most part the girls honor this. Sometimes however, they get those 2 and 4 year old mind sets and forget about the rules and just play without thinking or care for the consequences of actions gone awry. We believe that this was one of those times. After all , Aly knows that Poppy would die for her and would give her the world if she asked for it and he could get it. Surely she understood that he would be glad to give her some spare change that had fallen on the floor.

We are confident that this was not a serious character issue that we should worry about. But it COULD become one if not handled properly. SO she knew that a spanking was in line with what we had determined just the other day... and she was not happy about that. But I felt the mercy of the Lord working through my little "pats" with a back scratcher to her behind with one good one at the end.

She was still very upset and I kind of noticed it was a different upset than one of a sore butt. She was genuinely sorry for what she had done. I could see the remorse in her face and her sadness at having disappointed me and Shelley and Poppy by doing something wrong like stealing.
SO I recognize this as the Holy Spirits refining time for Aly. She is very much aware that she has sinned. She knows what sinning is and she knows what forgiveness is. She also knows about Jesus and that "he died on the cross so that we don't have to die. " AND " three days later God grew him back to life". My personal favorite description of resurrection.

What an awesome God we serve who has planned out our salvation!!! He knew before he created the world the personality of this little child. That she would choose Him and they would know each other in a wonderful relationship for eternity. I look forward to praying the sinners prayer with my daughter, that is if I don't blubber like a baby myself. Right now I am about to lose it because I know that when that happens my little girl will miraculously become my sister also. What a wonderful mystery. I just am so thankful that she is asking and the Holy Spirit is working. YES even at 4 1/2 years old God can reach us and communicate the Good News of Jesus. Praise His Name!!!









Please pray for Shelley and me and especially Aly at this time of decision. That the timing will be perfect and that we will do what God wants us to. What am I saying, of course it will and He will and we will...His perfect will. Just remember to praise Him. He really deserves our praise!!!!!



Praise ye the LORD.
Praise God in his sanctuary:
Praise him in the firmament of his power.
Psalms 150:1

Love always,

2 comments:

sscottmusic said...

This is the most awesome blog you have posted. You and Shelly are doing a great job raiseing your children.

Stan

Anonymous said...

David....I can most definitely relate to your story...teaching your children life lessons. My two sons are grown men. I have had similar experiences....the taking of the change. You are showing your daughter a most wonderful example of obeying our commandments. I praise you! cap